This book covers the breadth of feline diagnosis and management in the textbook-in-question-and-answer format of The Secrets Series®. After years of being treated under the basic medical model of the canine, feline medicine has reached greater prominence in the past few years, and has become a hot topic in veterinary medicine, yielding several successful books. Michael Lappin is one of the major names in modern feline medicine, and he has assembled a cast of contributors featuring many of the major feline authorities in the U.S. Each chapter presents a brief overview of, discusses the diagnostic plan, and then focuses on the key concepts for each topic.
Canine and Feline Infectious Diseases is a practical, up-to-date resource covering the most important and cutting-edge advances in the field. Presented by a seasoned educator in a concise, highly visual format, this innovative guide keeps you current with the latest advances in this ever-changing field. 80 case studies illustrate the clinical relevance of the major infectious disease chapters.
- Well-organized Major Infectious Diseases chapters break down content by etiologic agent and epidemiology, clinical signs and their pathophysiology, physical examination findings, diagnosis, treatment and prognosis, immunity, prevention, and public health implications.
- Over 80 case studies illustrate how the information provided can be applied in everyday practice.
- Logical approach to laboratory diagnosis guides you through all the steps needed to accurately diagnose and treat viral, bacterial, fungal, protozoal, and algal diseases.
- Practical protocols provided by expert clinicians guide you in the management of canine and feline patients suspected to have infectious diseases, including handling, disinfection, isolation, and vaccination protocols.
- Over 500 full color images – geographic distribution maps, life cycle drawings, and hundreds of color photographs – visually illustrate and clarify complex issues.
- Easy-to-understand tables and boxes make content quickly accessible, eliminating the need to sort through dense text for critical information in the clinical setting.
Recognize, diagnose, and manage a vast range of common and important ocular conditions with the latest edition of this trusted reference. Extensively revised and updated by a team of internationally respected contributors, this edition provides a comprehensive, yet practically oriented, diagnostic guide to ophthalmic disease, covering structure and function, ocular development, pathology, examination and diagnosis, pharmacology, and emergency management for a wide variety of small and large animal species.
- Clinical focus addresses vital information for evaluating, diagnosing, managing, and monitoring patients.
- Logical organization based on anatomic region makes information easy to locate.
- Fully updated diagnostic methods, pharmacologic therapies, and surgical procedures help you provide the most current, effective care.
- Extensively updated content reflects the clinical expertise of three new, internationally respected veterinary ophthalmologists.
- Full-color format with nearly 1000 photographic images and step-by-step, illustrated procedures helps you recognize, diagnose and treat ocular conditions medically and surgically.
- A new chapter on the ophthalmology of birds and other exotic species provides expert guidance in the care of these increasingly popular companion species.
- A new chapter on ocular manifestations of systemic disease in large and small animals helps you utilize the ophthalmologic examination to more accurately diagnose and treat diseases and disorders affecting other body systems.
- Hardcover format adds durability for frequent reference.
The definitive reference for the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of small animal infections, Infectious Diseases of the Dog and Cat, 4th Edition delivers current, comprehensive information essential to the management of infectious diseases caused by viruses, rickettsiae, chlamydiae, mycoplasmas, bacteria, fungi, algae, protozoa, and unknown agents. Each section guides you through diagnostic testing for specific microorganisms, from sample collection to laboratory submission to interpretation of results, then details appropriate treatment measures and pharmacologic considerations for the various related infections. Full-color illustrations and hundreds of tables provide quick, convenient access to diagnostic and therapeutic guidelines, and thoroughly updated drug information helps you confidently administer appropriate dosages for the most effective treatment and prevention.
- The most comprehensive infectious disease coverage available helps you confidently address clinical problems related to infectious diseases in dogs and cats, and includes:
- Immunization strategies and environmental control of infections
- Immunodeficiency disorders
- Prevention of infection in multi-pet and shelter settings
- Immunocompromised people and their pets
- Vibrant full-color illustrations clarify disease features and modes of disease transmission for enhanced diagnostic accuracy and disease prevention.
- Convenient tables deliver therapeutic recommendations and drug dosages at a glance.
- Complete antimicrobial drug formulary provides fast, easy access to indications, recommended dosages, and pharmacologic considerations essential for all relevant pharmaceuticals.
- State-of-the-art diagnostic testing procedures help you ensure accurate diagnoses for all clinically relevant pathogens.
- Content reflects the expert insight and vast clinical experience of a panel of trusted authorities on small animal infectious diseases.
- Easy-to-use companion website provides convenient online access to additional images, tables, boxes, appendices, and references linked directly to original PubMed abstracts.
- Expanded coverage of zoonoses, zoonotic potential, and precautions helps you effectively monitor and treat zoonotic infections.
- Fully updated drug formulary reflects the most current pharmacokinetics, indications, contraindications, handling and administration guidelines, and dosage recommendations available.
- Updated content throughout the text details current diagnostic testing regimens and therapeutic and preventive considerations for all pathogens you’re likely to encounter in the clinical setting.
- Special focus on disease incidence and susceptibility in traveling animals helps you alert animal owners to potential risks associated with pet travel.